Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A BIRTHDAY STORY

  • last year this time was my big 60 birthday
  • papa hubby had been looking forward to this date
  • since the day I turned 59 as he liked the fact
  • that we would be in the same decade--LOL
  • both in our sixties- this only happened for a year
  • and a bit as he was nearly 9 years older than me
  • but of course - last year was our cancer journey
  • and his plans had to go on hold........
  • but papa was not one to be defeated by cancer
  • when he made plans he made plans --
  • = so he talked to the pastor
  • and with ease- convinced the pastor to have
  • a cake at the church for me----the pastor had
  • to tell me a few days ahead of time as there
  • was no guarantee that papa would have the strength
  • to go to church that day---so it was decided that
  • I would go----with out him and Miss Ashley would
  • stay with papa-----but papa hubby was determined
  • to go and so Bonnie and I took him but late so that
  • he would have enough strength ---to last an hour or two-
  • we took him there with great care- and parked as
  • close to the front door we could so he did not have
  • to walk one step more than was needed-
  • he was very weak by then and taking a small step
  • was hard work ........
  • we got there and the deacons were waiting for him
  • and me and they helped him into the sanctuary
  • and because the pastor knew papa and I had
  • to come late to conserve his energy
  • he gave papa hubby a nice welcome as
  • papa had not been able to go since April
  • our church is small enough to do that
  • and every one knew papa hubby and his journey-
  • after the service we had cake in the main foyer
  • and we put papa hubby on a chair
  • everyone came to see him and shake his hand
  • he was so blessed
  • and it was a ''good bye'' time for him
  • and his friends
  • yes, it was my birthday and we ate cake too
  • but the day was really a honoring of David
  • we knew that there would be no more
  • Sunday outings for him as he could
  • barely walk- and sitting required too much
  • energy
  • and he got to see his two daughters in church
  • as the Ashley invited them too
  • and we all stood there around papa hubby
  • some one bought me flowers to add
  • to papa's special cake
  • it was a nice time and not long
  • as we/they knew papa was too weak
  • we brought him home and
  • he was so tired but happy
  • happy to give me a surprise and
  • happy to see his friends again
  • happy that his plans happened-
  • we both knew it was his last time
  • we knew that he could not walk much longer
  • his legs were like stove pipes( that is what the doctors call them
  • and his tummy
  • make him look pregnant as his body grew a water blister
  • around his cancer thinking to protect it from
  • the foreign body-(cancer does this to some patients)
  • also
  • he was going through
  • his chemo side effects but God gave him the strength
  • to go one more time -
  • looking back is bittersweet - but with thanksgiving
  • it is a birthday I will always remember-
  • his family all together and his church friends
  • shaking his hand and hugs and kisses
  • and praying for him and with him
  • it was a wonderful moment in time
  • that will always be in my heart
  • so that is my birthday story
  • and now today is another birthday
  • a new year for me...
  • and I am learning to live with out papa David
  • to celebrate the moments-
  • to count my blessings and
  • not the candles-
  • and to share the memories
  • that I hold in my heart.
  • hugs from Meme

2 comments:

messymimi said...

I wish you many more birthdays, Meme. May each of them bring you more joy and less sorrow in the memories, and blessings to you and your family.

Hugs,

messymimi

Anonymous said...

What a blessed gift to have that one last time in church with Papa. Memories of loved ones and family gathered around both of you.