Sunday, February 15, 2009

love soup--homemade

  • the g' daughter is sick today- so what is a Meme to make for supper
  • I know that as a teen she does not eat the things that are really good for
  • her unless I do the cooking
  • she can cook but she is still heavy of the ''fat foods'' which even on a
  • good day can be bad for her
  • decided to make some homemade chicken soup but in a quick way as
  • my thoughts came too late to do the old fashioned kind
  • so here is the story which is a recipe of sorts
  • *******************************
  • 2 small frozen chicken breasts- partly thawed in microwave- it is easier to cut partly frozen - then I cut into mini bites- and then just soaked for a few minutes in cold water- heat my favorite soup pot and add 1 (only one) tablespoon oil and as soon as the oil was hot - popped the drained chicken pieces in- it is good to drain first because the chicken browns faster and also no splash feed back-as a rule I would have used other chicken parts but this was what we had and today I was looking for near fat free
  • mean while I got carrots and celery ready and sliced on the mandolin( I think that is close to the spelling) and the name - makes the slices very thin-
  • as soon as the chicken was brown I added the veggies and let then brown just a tiny bit- kind of what Martha Stewart taught me--LOL
  • according to Miss Martha this gives the flavors added flavoring bonus ?? to the soup
  • then added 4 cups of water and also the chicken flavoring from the chicken noodle soup package_ (not the canned) I saved the noodles for another day as they would be mush while the veggies cooked-
  • sliced potatoes and added to the soup and just let simmer until all was done
  • no added salt but some pepper
  • you can really put anything you choose in the soup once you start the chicken- remember that onions are hard and gassier on a sick tummy
  • I could have added other veggies but wanted to stay with something plain and simple today-better for wayward tummies -
  • it was great and we both enjoyed the soup and there is leftovers for tomorrow - I may add the noodles tomorrow as I can cook them separate before I reheat the soup-
  • -----------
  • I made this soup often for papa hubby on his cancer journey as it was easy on his tummy and he loved it- salt was no longer an issue for him - so I made what ever he liked and could tolerate-
  • it also remind me of our home cooking on the farm- most of our meals were plain and simple-
  • I pray the our younger generations will be able to learn to make meals that are healthy - economical and good- with the recession I see hard times coming for many who just do not know the simple ways to cook-
  • I noticed in our grocery store that it is cheaper to buy a whole cooked chicken than a whole frozen chicken- and I hardly ever seen a whole fresh chicken there-
  • Meme is off to do the dishes
  • huggles from me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very good. I've got a bad tummy, Nalley does not need salt and he had oral surgery so this would be perfect for us to lunch on this week. Thanks! Hope your g daughter gets to feeling better soon. Hugs,

John and Lisa said...

I am so glad that you visited my blog and commented, because now I have found your blogs and I am so enjoying them! You are quite a prolific writer. I love your stories about growing up and your recipes. Your journey of mourning is something that many might benefit from hearing you tell, and I already feel as if I am becoming acquainted with you. Thank you for sharing your life with us!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Oooh that soup sounds like comfort food! It was comforting just to read about it. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Karen