Monday, August 10, 2009

The Letter V



  • here I am and it is still Monday here but I know that I am pushing it..............

  • V is sometimes a very very hard letter to ponder on------

  • but then I remember that it is one of the main food groups

  • VEGETABLES

  • alas we in Canada and USA have got away from eating vegetables-

  • I remember as a kid that we had vegetables with dinner and supper

  • so many different kinds--carrots- turnips- cabbage- squash- peas

  • beans- corn-tomatoes and others but these were our main ones

  • and we grew all our vegetables- Mama had two gardens - one close

  • to the house which was for summer vegetables- and then the big

  • garden out in the field where we had our groceries for winter.

  • They were both hard work but paid off well each year-

  • The gardens were our main source of food and a must-

  • there was no corner store or money to buy something we could grow

  • mama canned a lot of veggies in the hot month of August-

  • on our wood cook stove and then around the end of September

  • we all went out to dig the main garden - all the vegetables had to

  • be dried well before storage-

  • We ate all winter long and enjoyed many foods- including homemade

  • pickles-

  • Thank God for vegetables - HUGS FROM MEME
  • check out this blog for more letter V fun-------http://unglazed.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to A-Z Mondays! I enjoyed your V post about vegetables. Growing up, we had lots of home-grown vegetables at every meal. I loved them all but turnips and beets!!! Well, I am off to ponder over next week's "U" post. Hope you are having a nice week.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Did you or your Mama ever make watermelon rind pickles? They are my very favorite.

messymimi said...

My hat is off to anyone who can grow vegetables, or any other plants they put into the ground on purpose.

I kill silk houseplants, much less anything more delicate. Plants commit suicide when they know that I will be their owner. If I tried to grow an herb window box garden it would have to be called "death row".

All of this is a shame, since I love veggies, and so does most of my family, so I would love to be able to grow them.

Connie said...

What wonderful memories of your vegetable gardens when you were younger. I remember working in the gardens we had as a child too. Welcome to A-Z on Mondays! :)

Jen said...

Welcome once again to A-Z!
Great V word. Thank goodness for cans and frozen vegetables today. :)
I dont' know how many veggies I'd eat if I had to grow them..not many. ha

Kay said...

Hello. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment. I appreciate your visit.

The only veggie I can seem to grow is tomatoes. Actually, I think they are classified as a fruit (LOL).

Kay

Minerva said...

I love almost all veggies. And summer is the best time for veggie-lovers! welcome to Z to A Mondays. You have a nice blog.

Dorothy said...

So much of this post are things that I could have written...it sounds so much like my life growing up on a farm. Very nice post for the letter V!!!