Saturday, January 17, 2009

Before cancer came to our house we took all those little things in life for granted- not even classifying them as BLESSINGS- then cancer came to teach us our blessings.

soon after the cancer noticed blessings came : such as getting up together in the morning -taking a walk to the bathroom too-- chicken noodle soup was papa's favorite blessing--chemo was a blessing. friends were a blessing- prayer was a blessing--and so on and so--I know you will get the picture -

we also lost old blessings- papa was too sick to even sit in a shower- his feet were so swollen that he could not get his shoes on---he could not read ----his hair fell out and grew in a soft baby fine gray-( he had his spender instead of his strength)
he did not have a eating plan anymore as he could not eat- then one day he could not walk- then one day he was too weak to sign his name-- then one day he could not drink water because he could not swallow- but God showed me how to bless him by dropping water into his mouth slowly one drop at a time--drops no bigger than my tears- then he was too weak to open his eyes but God sent Miss Ashley to hold papa hubby's eyes open- she was his blessing-his friends held his hands and they were his blessings- and his faith was strong in his weakness..
I see so much now- I understand so much now- little blessings do count- if you could read this note- you were /are blessed-
******a verse for you on my way out of the blog
''The glory of the young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.''
please count your blessings as blessings- because when you lose your blessings - they will be missed

4 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Dear Meme,
Your words have changed my life. As I read your words from post to post my heart is touched.This one has brought tears to my eyes. I am sorry for all the pain and suffering that cancer brought into your lives. Your faithfulness, courage and strenght in the face of loss and sorrow is awe inspiring. Thank you for the example you set for me and others.

Because of you I do appreciate my blessings more. Because of you I do notice the little things that are blessings.

Families are forever. Your David is not far away from you. Stay strong. God will give you the strengh to continue your journey until it is your turn to return home to Him and your David.

God bless you dear Meme. I hope that you are having a good day today. You are in my prayers. Love, Lura

Mary said...

Meme,

Grandma always told me to count my blessings and it took me some years to acknowledge the wisdom of her words. Today I count my blessings, count them one by one. It is the little things that mean so much. Today's blessing:

Spending time with my grandsons

Getting out now that the temperatures have risen a little

Meeting you through our blogs.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary

Robin Lambright said...

Oh My!

In my Streams in the Desert this morning the devotional was all about sorrow.

A couple things jumped out at me.

"Sorrow is God's tool to plow the depth of the soul, the it may yield richer harvests" and "sorrow, yet with despair removed, is the power chosen to reveal us to ourselves"

Thank You for shaing your heart and feelings so openly. I know all who read it will be as touched as i was.

Blessings
Robin

j said...

I despise Cancer. It is a thief. But God will restore what the locusts have eaten. There is HOPE for the believer!

I fear sorrow. I always have. Again, I will pray for you Meme.