Monday, January 26, 2009

love does not change...

I remember when David and I fell in love
and we were first married
all I could do was think about him
I cleaned for him and cooked for him
and put his sugar in his coffee that
I made for him
everything I did- I did thinking of him
because of our love
and then the babies came and my
thinking changed to reality
but our love stayed the same
but bottles and colic and diapers
and sweet babies were a new thinking
bills and a home and late suppers and us
and our love stayed
my grief was like my first
days of love
and all I could think of was
about papa David and all I
could talk about.....was him
I thought of him in the night
and the morning just continued
from the night
and I was filled with sorrow
and days of tears
and now the grief is changing
and it is frightening .........
because for so long
grief was all I had left
of him and now
I have the memories
of the way we were
and I cherish the memories
and as my grief moves slowly
into reality of living a life
of bills and dog and g'kids
and dishes and snow and spring
I can feel the joy in the sorrow
of knowing that if our love
had not been so great
my sorrow would not be so deep
I know now that God
has closed a door
but the door has a window
and that now if there
are times when I do not think
of David
I know that our love
has not changed .........
that death can not take away
what we had....or the way we were
and in
the joy of love and the sorrow of love
I still feel David's love and see his love
and hear his love
and I too love...... in return
because God gave us the love
and God is love
and death can not take away
what God has given
our love remains............
..........
hugs from Meme

1 comment:

Mary said...

Meme,

What a wonderful tribute to David and for your love for each other. The grief will pass...the memories will remain.

If my first husband had lived, we would have been married 43 years this April. I often wonder what it would have been like. I still think of him and I talk about him to my grandsons. They would have been his grandsons as well and Brandon, the oldest, is a splitting image of him. I am so proud of that fact. It's like having him near all over again.

God closes doors and opens windows. That has been very evident in my life recently. Keep your eyes heavenward, my friend.

Praying for you.
Blessings,
Mary