Friday, October 17, 2008

our last supper......

Last October 31 was the last time that papa and I went out together for supper= he was not well but he still wanted to go- we always go out that evening as our Dogman can not handle Halloween- too much knocking on doors and the kids frighten him- he gets very sick and was in the doggie hospital the first year we had him so the vet suggested that he not go under that stress again-
I can remember where we went and what we had- papa had his usual veal cutlets with gravy on the side and his french fries= I knew that papa was not feeling well and suggested we just turn off the lights and not answer the door but he wanted to keep with our tradition- which was 10 years old-
We had a nice time but David could not finish his meal and so we sat there for a while chatting- we thought , of course that there would be other suppers- Miss Sidney came in to the cafe dressed like a princess with her sisters so we were content to see them and not too worried about them missing any candy at our house- their bags were quite full =other little kids came in the cafe too so we sat back and enjoyed watching them-
I am so glad that it was a night of memories-content memories- the Lord gave us the blessing of that last supper that was good to our hearts- hmmm- maybe not as healthy for our hearts but still wonder filled- I even remember where we sat-
I am getting closer to the beginning of David's journey with cancer now and while it is hard to remember ; it is also healing me- I did not have much time to share during his illness but I have not forgotten- some of the dates will be off but most of the special events I have down in my heart-
Some of the things that I will be writing will be hard to write as all the memories are not good and many are very painful- but I do want to say that some of those painful memories were blessings from the Lord- you will understand that statement more as you read our story-
The supper is a good good memory now but I doubt that I would have remembered it if our lives had not been turned inside out shortly afterwards.
Please make memories every day as we do not know when something will be the last time and we need to remember those last times as good -
see you soon= huggles me, Meme

2 comments:

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

It is so true that we just never know what will be our last. . . . . Christmas, Easter, Birthday, or even a dinner together. Memories!!!! I so often think we waste so much time on small, insignificant irritants in life and forget to stop and watch a momma bird feed her young and wonder at God's creations around us! I so much enjoy coming here and walking through your memories with you! I feel a tear now and then drop on my shoulder as I read, and I know it's painful for you to write all this. But I so feel your faith, love, strength, and beauty as you grow through your tears!!!! Thank you!

Cora

Cora from Hidden Riches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.