Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A NEW DAY IN DECEMBER

One good thing about not sleeping is-- that is not hard to wake up-- but while I cried alone I also cried out to the Lord for strength- to get through this ordeal- I was not thinking of a journey yet- in fact it reminded me of a title of a book by Phil Callaway---WHO PUT THE SKUNK IN THE TRUNK? or LEARNING TO LAUGH WHEN LIFE STINKS- (A funny but serious book )
On December 20 I was still the me who had reached the fine age of 59- been married to David for just over 41 of those years- We went every where together - we were known as David and Marilyn and where one was- the other was sure to follow- I do not drive due to eye sight conditions and so when I needed to go- David would take me- he was a faithful taxi driver - and quite enjoyed the role- I also did not have good health and did not have a lot of physical strength - I am just under a 100 pounds and have weighted approximately the same for the last 40 years- and I was keeper of the home- and we were best friends.
I remember so clearly the Lord telling me that He would give me manna strength for today and all the days to come- no more or no less than I would need for each day to come- and that I would be able to do what was needed - this became my daily prayer- Lord, give me manna strength and our motto became THE LORD IS OUR SHEPHERD- and yes, you will see the manna strength in all the days of our journey together living with cancer.
David and I planned to talk about our future as we now knew it as soon as we were together but God had other plans- David was kept so busy with nurses and tests and visitors that we had no time alone that day- and all the pastors that he knew came to see him and pray out loud and read scripture- David just had to lay there and everyone else did for him- he still was not allowed to shave due to possible bleeding and much to his horror he was not allowed to put his teeth back in as again there was a chance of bleeding- all we could do is laugh as there was not time for tears- (there was a man in the other bed who told his wife he had never heard so many sermons in one day )
His doctor came in and told him that his vitamin k was increasing and if all went well he would put a stint in on Friday to start moving the poison from the jaundice in David's system- He told us that David was very sick even with out the cancer and the next couple of days would be tough - then he told us that was the stint was in--a cancer doctor would be in and they would start a plan for treatment- he explained why surgery was not an option and if all went well the doctor hoped that David would live for one to two years- David took the news well considering the source and we both just held hands and listened to the doctor talk about stints and stages and treatments- and we forgot everything he told us.......but we were ready to go forward in spite our our fears-
THE LORD IS GOOD. WHEN TROUBLE COMES, HE IS A STRONG REFUGE. AND HE KNOWS EVERYONE WHO TRUSTS IN HIM. NAHUM 1:7
I went home and slept :-)
huggles me, Meme
papa's favorite saying became: When the tough get going- they go get icecream--( cancer could not take his sence of humor)

1 comment:

Mama said...

Hi. I just found your blog through Marlene's blog list, and I must say that I am touched by your writing and blessed by your spirit. While there is nothing I can say to ease your sorrow or to make your days easier, I know there is plenty that the Lord can and WILL do, and is doing.

Keep telling the story, for in doing so, you bless others and may just find some relief for yourself as well.

Be blessed.