Tuesday, March 3, 2009

why ''papa''?

  • so many have asked me why I call my dear husband ''papa''
  • and or papa hubby (David)
  • it started over 20 years ago at the birth of our first grandchild
  • we are not even sure who started the name but
  • the name soon fit.......papa
  • and then when
  • our one grand-daughter lived here from birth
  • until the age of 5 we all, referred to him as Papa
  • in our everyday talking,,,,.......
  • when papa David was on his cancer journey
  • I spent most of my time with him
  • and also he was used to me calling him
  • papa- as the grand-kids were often here
  • I had my own pet name for him which was
  • POPPY
  • but now that he is gone I want to keep that
  • POPPY
  • for me and him- as it was our special name
  • but now back to rest of the story
  • when papa needed help to get up and down
  • (he could not lift himself out of his chair)
  • I would direct him where to hang on to me
  • (he asked me to tell him so that he did not hurt me)
  • and one day I said ''David, put your arm around me''
  • and he said- please, call me papa = because I like the way
  • you say it as I can hear the love in your voice and then I
  • don't feel like you are my nurse- then I feel like you are
  • my wife.''--
  • I never called him David again except to the nurses
  • as this was so important to him to be called ''papa or 'POPPY
  • he did not want his family to call him
  • anything else although he let his brother call him
  • brother David--LOL
  • and he always would stop the nurses and ask them
  • to call him David rather than mister piesse (pro-
  • nounced peace)
  • the cancer and the chemo and the medicines
  • took so much of him away and
  • he had so little control of what was
  • happening in his life to him and around him
  • that I was happy to see him tell us
  • what he wanted to be called by=
  • so for me now he will always be ''papa David'' or
  • ''papa hubby-""
  • ---and in my heart POPPY
  • - and that is our story
  • hugs from Meme

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

Nel said...

Yes that is very sweet and special. Hold on to the good memories!

Brittany said...

Hi Meme! That is such a sweet story! Thanks so much for your tip on my blog about the chicken...actually that is exactly what I did! After hesitating a big, I decided to use the bag! :) I just failed to mention it in the post.

Have a great rest of the week!